Skip to main content

Our Top 5 Tips to Beat the Heat

Hiya, Emeraude here. I'm sure you've read my post about the commencement of my Summer Vacation (If you haven't, go catch up here, I'll wait for you!), my two month break started with a two weak heat spell. That's what we're talking about today folks, the heat! Specifically how to survive it.

Personally, I am writing this on my bed, in front of my trusty fan going full-blast. There are many other efficient ways to stay cool... which have come in handy since the past week we haven't had a single day that had temperatures cooler than 30 degrees Celsius (that's 86 Fahrenheit if you aren't in Canada) and most days settled around 41 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit). For some people that may be normal, but living in a community who's weather is usually on the colder side, that's pretty tropical.

Here's my Top Five Tips on How to Beat the Heat

#1- DRESS ACCORDINGLY
   In any situation, preparation is key. In most situation, wardrobe goes a long way in that department. It would be preferable to avoid long-sleeves, sweaters, full length jeans and thermal leggings during the hotter months. I would suggest a good casual outfit to be comfy shorts, a thin flowy t-shirt or fitted spaghetti strap tank with sandals. My best advisory would be if you have long hair, tie it up! Getting it off your neck will be way less hot. If you have short hair your a step ahead of the game!

#2- Ice Ice, baby!
   I'm not suggesting to since any specific song, all though music is a great accessory to summer fun. What I am pointing out is that ice is a great tool to cool down. Hydrating is SO important when it is hot. This means you should be drinking lots of water, add some ice to it! If you get really desperate to cool down, put on your favorite bathing suit and take an ice bath. It'll make you grateful for the heat when you get out!

#3- Science
  Now, this has always seemed so weird to me, but if you are really hot, you're supposed to drink something hot because it actually refreshes you faster! I wasn't sure I believed this so I googled it (of course) and here's what I learnt: www.smithsonianmag.com taught me that the reason it cools you down is because it makes you sweat more and that cools you down. I tried this with a hot cappuccino, and it was refreshing! So if you don't mind being sweaty, ditch the iced coffee for a hot one. 
   
#4- Water is Basically Magical
   We all know that water is super important and awesome. It is useful for so many things, and it's by far my favorite way to cool off during the summer. I'm not just talking about hydrating (I already talked about that!) I'm referring to swimming. Whether it's at a lake, the ocean, or a pool, swimming is the fastest way to cool off. It's relaxing on top of the benefit of refreshing your whole body. This weekend I went to a local dock with one of my friends and we brought pool floats and spent hours cooling off. It was wonderful!

#5- DON'T MAKE PIZZA!
   Okay, that's a little dramatic, and pizza specifically isn't going to make you hotter. What I mean is if your house is already hot, avoid turning on the oven. It'll make your sweaty situation worse. After our swimming excursion this past Saturday, my friend and I decided to make a frozen veggie pizza. BIG MISTAKE. My mom warned us it would make the house hot... of course we made the sacrifice for pizza. I'd like to say it  was worth it, but it totally killed our nice and cool vibe. There's so many wonderful no-heat necessary recipes out there to enjoy, no need to cook yourself along with your food. 


I hope these tips come in handy when the heat kicks in for you! Thanks for reading todays post, keep your eye out for all our upcoming Summer Vacation themed posts and recipes. Make sure you follow the blog so you don't miss a thing. Have a wonderful day! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hi, nice to meet you!

Well hello there. We are Alyssa and Emeraude, the Baked Beanettes. Two teenage girls who decided to write a blog together. We have been close friend for ages and share a lot of interest and figured "We can't be the only fifteen year olds who love tea, reading, Netflix, journaling, and cats," so here we are. This blog is here for each of us to make posts about topics that interest us that week, such as shows we're watching and things we're discussing together. Bear with us as we figure things out and please check out the "About Us" section to learn about our personalities. We're starting with two posts a week, understanding people have more time to read in the state the world is currently in we will try to put out as much as possible. You can count on Wednesdays and Sundays for now. Have a lovely day, With Love,  Emeraude & Alyssa

Our Friendship Volume I

Hiya! Emeraude here, wishing you a stupendous Sunday. Today I'm writing about Alyssa and I's friendship, and we'll hear her input this Wednesday. We have known each other since kindergarten having grown up in a small town, but got really close when I was in 6th Grade and she was in 7th Grade. I think we bonded first over our mutual love of swimming. I remember a summer where I would call her every night and we'd meet at the community pool and swim from opening to closing. We have never been interested in the popular crew, I believe that's part of the reason that we get along. Somehow we always end up loving the same things. Even when we don't plan to. We both love Sabrina Carpenter (a pop musician if you weren't aware, highly recommended) and watched her on the show "Girl Meets World" before we even really started hanging out. When the Netflix show "Lost in Space" came out we both watched it with our family's at the same time and foun

Dealing with Stress

Hiya! Emeraude here, wishing you a wonderful Wednesday. Do people even use the word stupendous? The next time I'm talking with somebody I'm going to use it as much as possible, just to see their reaction. Before we get into a discussion about teenagers and stress, I should answer Alyssa's question from last week. Her question was "What is your slushie order?" her's is interesting, mine is very simple! I like a medium blue-raspberry slushie on a hot summer day.  Everyone is stressed about something, that's just life. But do you know the actual definition of stress? I didn't, I wasn't even really sure what the difference between stress and anxiety was. That's why today I decided to write about dealing with stress.  I wanted to start by making sure I had a clear understanding on what was stress in my life and what was anxiety, because I think a common mistake I make when discussing these issues (which are equally important in my mind)